Sunday 30 September 2007

The Tour

When I was a child my mother and father used to take us out nearly every weekend and on one of these weekends we came across a stately home and decided to take a tour with the tour guide.The house itself was not very grand or very big but it seemed to have a nice history,we walked into a small room with a large wooden fireplace and the tour guide started to tell us how old the house was and who had lived their.My father was stood next to the fireplace and started to cough a little and then the cough became more prononced and less intermittent,my father started to rub his throat and became visibly irritated,his face turned white and he grabbed for his throat.The people in the room turned to my dad and asked him if he was ok but my father could not answer so my mother took him out of the house and I quickly followed,outside the house we sat on a bench and my father slowly regained his colour and stopped coughing.When we had established that my dad was ok we asked what had happened and he said that he didnt know but it felt as if someone was strangling him with a rope.We sat for a while then we noticed the tour guide walking towards us,he asked if my dad was ok and then he said you are not the only one this has happened to,my father asked what do you mean ?and he said one of the owners of the house had money troubles and he hung himself from the beam next to the fireplace exactly where my father was stood.We never went back to this house but I always remember the effect it had on my father.

No comments: